Thursday, 23 January 2014

Object Oriented Programming

I am new to computer programming, am not a Computer Science student. The only other programming course I've taken is CSC108, so Python is the first and only language I am familiar with. This has its positive aspects - it seems that some of my classmates who are used to coding in other languages sometimes find it difficult to adjust to the ideosyncrasies of Python. The challenge I am facing at the moment, having to do with the switch from writing functions to using classes and methods is the dot notation. I find that for now it helps to remember that I usually get things backward (instead of object.method, I say method.object), so I should write the opposite of what I think I should write, like George Costanza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY
Sometimes, the multitude of 'self' in writing classes is also confusing, but I think I'm starting to get used to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment